Currently, the market for veterinary drugs is well filled and it is difficult to find a drug that has no analogs. Catosal is a rare exception to this rule. It is truly one of a kind drug. Its uniqueness is Butafosfan – an active substance discovered by Bayer specialists in 1926 (!) And still has no analogs.
The preparation contains two active ingredients: butaphosphamide and cyanocobalamin. Butafosfan is an organic phosphorus compound. Phosphorus compounds affect many assimilation processes in the body. Phosphorus plays a leading role in the activity of the central nervous system. The metabolism of phosphorus compounds is closely related to the metabolism, in particular fats and proteins. Phosphorus plays an important role in the processes occurring in the membranes of intracellular systems and muscles (including the heart). The role of organic compounds of phosphorus is also significant in the energy supply of vital processes. Macroergic phosphorus compounds – ATP and creatine phosphate – accumulate energy, which can then be used for mechanical (muscle contraction), electrical (nerve impulse conduction), chemical (biosynthesis of various compounds) and electrochemical (active transport of substances through membranes) work. With a lot of positive effects on the state of systems and organs, organic phosphorus compounds do not accumulate in the body and do not have side effects characteristic of stimulants and inorganic phosphorus. Butafosfan has the following effects on the animal’s body:
- improves the utilization of glucose in the blood, which helps to stimulate energy metabolism;
- accelerates metabolic processes by stimulating the ADP_ATP cycle;
- activates all functions of the liver;
- increases the nonspecific resistance of the organism;
- stimulates smooth muscles and increases its motor activity;
- restores tired heart muscle;
- stimulates the formation of bone tissue;
- normalizes the level of cortisol in the blood;
- stimulates protein synthesis, accelerating the growth and development of the animal, as well as the reparative properties of organs and tissues.
Vitamin B12 – CATOSAL (METABOL) Bayer
The properties and complex of effects of cyanocobalamin are well known. And yet, for a clearer understanding of specialists about the complex of Catosal effects, we highlight the following:
- stimulation of hematopoiesis
- participation in the formation of creatine (a source of energy for muscle tissue)
- participation in the biosynthesis of acetylcholine, which affects the state of the nervous system
- participation in fat metabolism and metabolism of carboxylic acids
- normalization of the process of assimilation of food
- biosynthesis of methionine.
Indications for use: The complex of active ingredients of the drug allows its use in various fields of veterinary medicine and makes it practically irreplaceable in many treatment regimens.
Catosal is successfully used in the following cases:
- With metabolic disorders of different etiology
- With a decrease in the productivity and performance of animals;
- For the prevention and treatment of infertility and postpartum complications;
- In the treatment of secondary anemias
- To recover animals after stress
- To stimulate the growth of young animals
- To normalize liver function
- As an auxiliary therapy for intoxication, viral and bacterial infections, damage to organs and systems.
The use of Catosal in the treatment of various diseases accelerates the recovery of the animal, improves rehabilitation after illness, and reduces the risk of relapse. Catosal also helps to quickly restore the animal in the postoperative period: to reduce the likelihood of complications after anesthesia and infections.
Dosage and application features: Catosal is applied intramuscularly, subcutaneously, and intravenously in the following doses:
Dogs: 2.5 – 5 ml (average 1.0 to 3.0 ml per 10 kg of animal weight)
Cats and fur animals: 0.5-2.5 ml (on average, 0.5 to 2 ml per 5 kg of animal weight)
Horses: 10-25 ml (average 10-15 ml per 100 kg of body weight)
The product can also be used for birds. It is possible to inject the drug or drink it with drinking water at a dosage of 0.1-0.3 ml per 100 ml of water (for ornamental birds).
The instruction on the use of the drug provides for one or two administrations of Catosal at intervals of a week, however, as a result of the active use of Catosal by veterinarians, there are many different schemes for its use. Summarizing them, we can formulate the following general recommendations regarding the frequency of application of Catosal.
- One or two applications with an interval of two to seven days: to prevent or neutralize the effects of stress on the body; to increase the likelihood of fertilization of an egg in females, to improve the quality of sperm in males; to increase the activity and endurance of animals before exhibitions and competitions, to improve appetite, as well as to restore performance after prolonged or increased stress, in the postoperative period.
Case history 2. Pug dog, female, 3.5 years old. The animal was observed and treated in the clinic from the age of three months. At 3 months, the dog was treated for demodicosis. The anamnesis of life also: chronic cystitis after the first mating; a small number of puppies, difficult childbirth. Before the second mating of the animal, it was necessary to ensure the prevention of cystitis, as well as to increase the likelihood of giving birth to a larger number of puppies compared to the first mating.
Was proposed the drug “Catosal” subcutaneously in a dose of 3.0 ml every other day. Treatment course: 10 injections. No recurrence of cystitis was observed after mating. The dog independently (without medical assistance) gave birth to 5 puppies. During feeding, the bitch only slightly lost her condition. All puppies were active and viable, in the condition they corresponded to standard parameters.
Case history 3. Dog breed boxer, bitch. History of a difficult childbirth, 9 puppies, all different in weight (from 350 to 600 grams). After childbirth, there was an inflammation of the uterus, a lack of milk, and was treated with antibiotics. The puppies received artificial nutrition. As a result, all puppies developed severe dysbiosis, bloating and soreness of the intestines, and, as a result, growth retardation and skin rashes were observed over the entire surface of the body.
The following treatment was proposed: Lactobifadol and Catosal – subcutaneously (from 5 days of age) at a dose of 1.0 ml to puppies, and at a dose of 5.0 ml to a female, subcutaneously daily for 10 days. A positive trend was noted after 10 days. However, since both the bitch and the puppies still looked unsatisfactory, a second course of treatment with Catosal was carried out 14 days later at a dose of 2.0 ml to the puppies, and at a dose of 5.0 ml to the bitch subcutaneously daily for 10 days. By the date of vaccination (2 months), all the puppies leveled off according to the parametric data and weight, the skin rash disappeared, after weaning the puppies, the bitch quickly regained normal condition.
The drug Catosal was used in the clinic as an adjuvant in the complex treatment of other diseases, such as demodicosis, anemia (in this case, Catosal was prescribed as a rehabilitation agent after piroplasmosis and babesiosis), streptoderma, for skin diseases (including allergic ones), kidneys, heart, liver, pancreas, intestinal dysbiosis, after operations. The described clinical data indicate the multifaceted positive effect of Catosal on the animal organism and make it possible to recommend to veterinarians and breeders a wider use of this drug.